Kenya denies involvement in Nnamdi Kanu’s rearrest, saying, “The Nigerian government has the answers.”

Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), was not arrested in Kenya, according to Wilfred Machage, Kenya’s high commissioner to Nigeria.

The IPOB leader was “intercepted through the coordinated efforts of Nigerian intelligence and security services,” according to Attorney-General of the Federation Abubakar Malami, but he did not say where Kanu was captured.

However, the separatist leader’s brother, Kingsley Kanu, claims that his brother was caught in Kenya.

The claim was “concocted” to pit Nigerians in the south-east against Kenyans, the Kenyan high commissioner said at a press conference on Friday.

“I would like to respond to the claim by denying that Kenya was complicit in Mr Kanu’s purported arrest and extradition to Nigeria,” Machage added.

“The charge is false, fictitious, and purposely made up to inflame animosity between Nigerians in the south-eastern part of Nigeria and Kenyans.

“Many countries have been accused – Rwanda, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, Ethiopia, and who knows how many others.

“I challenge anyone with information on this supposed arrest in Kenya to present this information. This will contain details about how and who was involved in the purported arrest.

“Nigeria is a self-governing nation. It’s your country, after all. You should confront your government rather than the Kenyan high commission in Nigeria to ask some of these issues.

“The Nigerian government is aware of how he was apprehended. They, not I, have the answers.”

According to TheCable, Kenya’s director-general of Immigration Services, Alexander Muteshi, dismissed the petition on Thursday.

Kanu was detained for the first time in Nigeria on October 14, 2015, after years of campaigning for the independent state of Biafra.

In April 2017, he was given bail, but he fled the country after soldiers raided his home in Abia state amid a military crackdown on IPOB members.

While on the run, the separatist leader oversaw IPOB’s operations from afar.

The federal government arraigned him before the federal high court in Abuja after his re-arrest, and a judge gave the Department of State Services (DSS) permission to hold him in detention until his trial resumes on July 26.

See also  Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Released Soon - Lawyer

You may also like...